Monday, October 22, 2007

Purgatory

Another belief that separates Catholics from other Christian religions is their belief in Purgatory. Purgatory is an in-between stage of physical death and entering Heaven where the soul is torchured and rid of all sins gained. Catholics say that Purgatory is different for each person depending on how much sin they have in their life. Catholics also believe that people can shorten the time a soul is in Purgatory by simply praying for it. They also believe that souls in Purgatory can talk to people in an "intercession." Other Christian religions believe that Purgatory is unbiblical, stating that there is no real scriptural proof to say its real. However it does not change the fact that Purgatory separates Catholicism from other Christian religions.

"Catholicism-Purgatory." Contender Ministries. 27 Oct 2005. Contender Ministries. 21 Oct 2007 .
http://www.contenderministries.org/Catholicism/purgatory.php

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I never knew that Catholicism encompassed the idea of Purgatory. I never really knew what it was, but to me, and probably many others, no one would want to have to experience this. However, it's something that we truly can never know until our own death.

Ashley said...

Because I'm Catholic I've heard of and believe in Purgatory. I do believe that there is a stage before we "enter" heaven that we reflect on our sins while we were on earth.

Rusty Derrick said...

I did not know that purgatory is essentially torture. That is a new discovery I will have to explore. Nice blog.